Respiratory Health Monitoring Service
From 1 January 2012 the Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulation 2011 requires employers to provide health monitoring for each employee who is at risk of being exposed to Asbestos, Crystalline Silica or other hazardous chemicals.
The Workers’ Compensation Dust Diseases Board (DDB) understands that it can be expensive and inconvenient for employers to have staff take time off work for respiratory health monitoring, so the DDB offers a one-stop screening service that comes to the employer’s work site using the DDB's Mobile Respiratory Unit.
Health monitoring on the DDB Mobile Respiratory Unit includes an x-ray, a lung function test and an examination by a doctor. The results are checked by a radiologist and a specialist respiratory physician to complete the health monitoring in one go.
Health monitoring examinations for each worker take only 15 minutes and are completely painless. The DDB Mobile Unit can examine up to 50 employees per day.
The service to NSW employers and workers is subsidised by the DDB.
The benefits to employers using the DDB Mobile Unit include:
- Minimum disruption to work
- Low cost
- Expert staff using up-to-date equipment
- Health monitoring results are sent to the employer
- Health monitoring records are stored securely by the DDB
- Compliance with the WHS Regulation.
The benefits to employees of being screened by the DDB Occupational Respiratory Screening Service include:
- Individual results are sent to each individual employee
- Early detection and referral for respiratory abnormalities
- Referral to DDB if evidence of a dust disease is found
- Reassurance and objective advice about occupational respiratory disease
- Other (non respiratory) health problems may be detected early
- Secure storage of health monitoring records
- Access to health monitoring records as required
The DDB Respiratory Health Monitoring Service routinely screens for harmful health effects of asbestos and/or crystalline silica. We may be able to screen for harmful effects of other hazardous chemicals by arrangement.
Bookings and enquiries should be directed to the Health Monitoring Coordinator on (02) 8223 6600 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call the Health Monitoring Coordinator on 8223 6600 for a copy of our standard Service Agreement.
The DDB Mobile Unit is a mobile respiratory screening service designed to offer all the necessary parts of respiratory health monitoring together in one place. It is fully equipped with an x-ray room, lung function testing equipment and a doctor’s consulting room. Respiratory
Health Monitoring is also available at the DDB Medical Centre, Level 7, 82 Elizabeth Street, Sydney.